Manchester is being inspected to assess how effective it is at identifying and meeting the needs of children and young people who have special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).
As part of this joint inspection, we would like to invite parents and carers of children/ young people with SEND in Manchester to join this parent/carer focus group on Tuesday, 23 November.
The inspectors will speak with us about our experiences of SEND services in Manchester since the SEND reforms were brought about by the Children and Families Act 2014.
The meeting will be attended by:
- Parents and carers
- Manchester Parent Carer Forum
- Manchester Parent Champions
- Manchester Working Together Network
- Other SEND organisations and support groups
The inspection teams will include:
- a Her Majesty’s Inspector with enhanced specialism in Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
- a CQC specialist children’s services inspector
- an Ofsted inspector (usually a serving practitioner in another local authority) specially recruited and trained in Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities issues
While inspectors will not investigate individual cases, this conversation with parents & carers will allow them to better understand how well the local area meets its overall responsibilities around SEND. (Please click this for information about what inspectors cannot do.)
Other ways to get involved:
If you cannot join this meeting but would like to get involved, please answer this survey:
Or share your experiences by emailing LASEND.email@example.com
Inspectors will not carry out inspections of individual education, social care or health services or providers.
They will not make any judgements on the decision-making or the quality of support provided to individual children or young adults.
Inspectors will also not investigate complaints about the support received by individual children or young people or their families. They do not have the power to change or overrule decisions about assessment or support that have been made by agencies and service providers in the local area.