What is Autism?
According to the National Autistic Society (NAS):
Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how people perceive the world and interact with others.
Autism is a spectrum condition. All autistic people share certain difficulties, but being autistic will affect them in different ways.
Other Names for Autism
Different labels have historically been used to diagnose autism:
– autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
– autism spectrum condition (ASC)
– classic autism
– Kanner autism
– pervasive developmental disorder (PDD)
– high-functioning autism (HFA)
– Asperger syndrome
– Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA)
This reflects the different diagnostic manuals and tools used, and the different autism profiles presented by individuals.
Read more at the NAS website.
Below are some of our articles relating to autism: